The Fathers of the Church: Who the Early Church Fathers Are and Why they Matter
Resource on the Fathers of the Church
The Fathers of the Church --
Who the Early Church Fathers Are and Why they Matter
by Marcellino D'Ambrosio, Ph.D.
In a single, upbeat talk on the Fathers of the Church, full of examples and quick snapshots of some of the Catholic Church's most intriguing personalities, historical theologian Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio explains who people are talking about when they refer to the "Fathers of the Church" or "Early Church Fathers." Though the ranks of the Church Fathers represent a tremendous variety of cultures, locales, and personalities, there is surprising consensus that emerges from these Fathers of the ancient Church on a variety of the most important questions of contemporary life. In this CD, Dr. D'Ambrosio makes clear just how much these Fathers of the Early Church have to teach us today. Listening to it will help you understand:
- what influence the Fathers of the Church had on the formation of the biblical canon (the list of books that appear in the table of contents of your Bible!)
- how the Early Church Fathers can help us with the interpretation of the Bible
- why the Fathers of the Church are critical in helping us reconstruct certain early Christian practices and beliefs not clearly found in the New Testament
- how the Fathers of the Church contain within their ranks Popes, like St. Clement of Rome, Catholic Bishops like St. Ignatius of Antioch, priests such as the great Scripture scholar, Origen, laymen like St. Justin Martyr, and even a woman, the Spanish pilgrim Egeria
- what the Fathers of the Church have to teach us about the nature and role of Christian fatherhood, both in biological families and in that spiritual family which is the Church
Marcellino D'Ambrosio, the speaker in this audio presentation, is especially qualified to help us gain greater insight into the early Christian Writers who are known as the Fathers of the Catholic Church. He is historical theologian who did his doctoral dissertation on the method of biblical interpretation of the Fathers of the Church and for many years served as a professor of undergraduate and graduate theology, first at Loyola College, then at the University of Dallas. And since 1999 he has been the host of the television series entitled "The Early Church Fathers" broadcast worldwide on the Eternal Word Television Network.
Yet this is no stodgy, academic lecture! Originally given to a popular audience in a lively, engaging style, this entertaining talk is guaranteed to provide inspiration and insight to all, from the beginner to the graduate student! The perfect introduction to the history and theology of first Christian centuries and the great teachers known as the Church Fathers.
To order the "Fathers of the Church" on audiocassette rather than CD, click here.
All 20 episodes of The Early Church Fathers, as broadcast on EWTN, are available on DVD! These lively shows bring out the colorful personalities of the Fathers of the Church and make their rich teachings accessible, enjoyable, and relevant to the challenges we face every day.
The Early Church Father - 2 DVD Set - $49.95
Visit The Crossroads Initiative Library for writings by The Early Church Fathers and more information that you can print out and download about these Fathers of the Church.
Free Shipping on all orders over $45.00 No Sales Tax!
within the United States
Retail Price - $8.95
Sale Price - $5.95